Thursday, August 11, 2011

Pie # 5: Cherry Hand Pies



I made these adorable heart-shaped pies two days ago and shared them with some lucky neighbors. (AKA: my roommate, her mom and my parents.) These were so easy to make and only called for 2 cups of pie filling; I used pie cherries that I hand-picked out of my mom's orchard. Be sure to pit your cherries before you bake them in a pie... Yes, cherries totally have pits in them. I'm only telling you that because I actually dated a guy who didn't know that fact.

Anyway, I made my favorite crust recipe from Our Best Bites. I'll spare you the techniques I used because I blogged about it in the previous post.

Filling:
2 Cups Sour Pie Cherries
1/3 Cup Sugar
2 Tbsp Tapioca

Crust:
See this post or that post for my favorite crust recipe.

Combine cherries, sugar, and tapioca to make filling. Make crust and separate into two mounds. (I think it's easiest to work with less crust at a time.)

Roll out dough on floured surface. I used an awesome hand-press that my roomie gave me for my birthday to create fun, heart-shaped pies.

Note: I like to use an egg wash as glue or a seal when I press the mini pie together. Whisk together 1 egg and 1 tsp water. Spread this along the edge of the pie before you press and you'll have less mess on your hands when you pull these babies out of the oven.

(After I pop a pie out of the mold, I spread melted butter over the top and sprinkled raw sugar to give a sparkle.) Delicately lay these cuties on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Place on wire rack to cool.

Cherry pie is one of my (many) favorites. What is your favorite kind of pie?




No comments:

Post a Comment