Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Pie # 6: Stone Fruit Pie


I found this recipe in Bon Appetit, the August 2011 edition. I bought all my fruit locally at The Pumpkin Patch; I am lucky enough to live in close vicinity to several different markets. I highly recommend using whatever stone fruit is in season when you make this pie on your own. I think the pie smells even better coming out of the oven if you know the produce is 100% fresh.

Crust:
I used Our Best Bites recipe for All-Shortening Crust (aka: the same crust recipe I used for the past few pies. I promise I'll start varying this soon!)

Filling:
2 lbs Nectarines
1 lb Peaches
1 lb Plums (I loved using bright red plums because it made the filling so colorful!)
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
A sprinkling of nutmeg (recipe calls for 1/4 tea fresh ground nutmeg, but I don't like nutmeg very much so I literally sprinkled once and called it good.)

Peel fruit. This is tricky because I didn't want to spend hours peeling 4 pounds of round balls. Instead, I placed the fruit into boiling water for 30 seconds and then immediately cooled them off in ice water. Once they were cool to the touch, the skin peeled right off. Voila!

Cut up fruit into 1/2 inch thick slices. Add sugar and stir. Allow fruit to sit at room temperature for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Strain fruit and reserve 1/4 cup of liquid. Whisk saved liquid and corn starch together; add nutmeg. Stir into fruit.

Pour fruit into unbaked pie crust. (I'm adding the picture of my empty crust because - for the first time ever - my crust looks pretty legit!) Make lattice top. (Also, please notice the awesome new tool that my mom and dad gave me for my birthday. Now my lattice tops are even prettier.)

Brush melted butter over the top and sprinkle with raw sugar.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes, then 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes. I waited until my filling was bubbly. This pie seriously made my house smell de-light-ful.


 Then I realized I couldn't eat this entire pie so I delivered to some lucky neighbors :)

1 comment: