Sunday, August 7, 2011

Two Pies

I completely skipped last week's blog entry because I spontaneously had to fly to California for the US Open of Surfing. (Rough life.) You know what this means? Two pies in one week. Prepare yourself.

A few weeks ago, my mom gave me way too many sweet cherries and I mixed them with some leftover raspberries in my fridge to get this combo: Rasberry-Cherry pie.

Crust: Same recipe as before, found this gem on Our Best Bites.
2 1/2 Cups Flour
1 tea salt
2/3 Cup & 2 Tbsp butter-flavor shortening
1/2 Cup ice water (really, really cold water)

Filling:
3 Cups Raspberries
3 Cups Cherries
4 Tbsp flour
1 Cup Sugar


Combine the flour, salt and shortening. Using a fork or pastry blender, cut in shortening until pea-size shapes form.


Add ice water 1 tablespoon at a time and move dry ingredients around in bowl until dough forms.

Roll out half of dough and place in 9-inch pie plate.

Mix flour, sugar and fruit.

Place in pie shell.

Roll out last half of dough to make top crust. (Again, I chose to make a lattice top because it looks prettier.) Cut the dough into strips for the lattice top.

Weave over the top of fruit. Bake for.... I totally forgot this part of the recipe when I made this pie. I ended up baking at 350 degrees for an hour. Ideally, bake at 400 for 15 minutes and then 350 for 45-60 minutes.

Voila!

1 comment:

  1. Why haven't I seen more pies at my house? Have you forgotten where I live? I can see your house from here. I am pretty sure you can see mine.

    ReplyDelete