Monday, October 31, 2011

Pie # 13: Homemade Pumpkin Pie


Yes: I made my own pumpkin filling. The verdict? Overrated. (Sorry, Mom.) I actually took the time to place an entire pumpkin into the oven for over an hour only to be disappointed. Then again, I probably would have liked this pie more if I had used a better crust recipe.

Silky Pumpkin Pie
from Better Homes and Gardens
(Printable version)

Crust:
Every Day Pie Crust
(I cut this recipe in half since I only needed 1 pie shell. Have fun halving 1 egg, lol)

Filling:
3 large eggs
1/3 cup sugar
1 14oz can sweetened condensed milk
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
3 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground cloves

Bake pumpkin:
Snag a pumpkin of your choosing (I stole a ghost pumpkin from my parents' farm. I've also heard that sugar pumpkins and Cinderella pumpkins are good varieties for making pie.) Using a sharp knife or fork, poke several holes all over your pumpkin. Place on foil-lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 for an hour or until pumpkin is soft when poked with a fork. Cool completely. (This could take several hours.)


Cut open pumpkin, scrape out seeds and guts. Using an ice cream scooper, scrape the rind into a bowl. After you've collected as much rind as your patience allows, puree it in a food processor. (If you don't have a food processor, you should invest in one now.) Voila: You have pumpkin mash ready for pie!

Mix all ingredients together with pumpkin mash. Pour into prebaked pie crust. Bake at 350 for 50-60 minutes or until filling is set along the edges and slightly loose in the middle.


Pat yourself on the back. You just spent hours doing something that won't taste any better than if you had grabbed a can of pumpkin pie filling off the shelf at Winco. Try not to feel like you wasted time.

No comments:

Post a Comment