Monday, April 9, 2012

Pie # 29: Apple Cheddar Pie


This has been on my list since the very beginning. Despite disliking cheese most of the time (I know, shocking!), I am able to enjoy a few slices when fruit is involved. As a kid I can remember eating sliced apples with cheddar as an after-school-snack; the salty and sweet combo is one of my favorites. I found this recipe in Pie by Ken Haedrich. My conclusion after tasting it last night is this: not one of my favorites, definitely a "different" and "unique" light flavor, it wasn't bad but not a pie I would make over and over again. However, if cheese and apples are your thing, feel free to give it a shot!

Apple Cheddar Pie
(Printable version)

Crust:
1/2 of All-Shortening Crust

Ingredients
Filling:
6 cups peeled and sliced apples (I used Granny Smith)
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons sugar (separated)
big pinch of salt
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstach

Topping:
2 1/2 cups Cheez-it crackers (white cheddar flavor)
1/4 cold, unsalted butter
3/4 finely shredded sharp white cheddar cheese

Combine apples, 1/4 cup sugar, salt, lemon juice and lemon zest in large bowl. Allow to set for 10 minutes to juice.


Combine remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar with cornstarch in small bowl. Stir into apples. Pour the filling into the pie shell and bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes. Turn oven down to 375 degrees and bake for 10 more minutes.

Meanwhile, make crumb topping. Combine crumbs with chunks of butter in the food processor. (Or if you're like me and don't have a food processor because your bff moved across the country, mix this up with a fork or pastry blender.) Add the cheese and mix a bit more.



After the pie has baked for a total of 40 minutes, remove from oven and sprinkle the topping evenly. Pat down with your fingers and bake for another 20 minutes or until the filling is bubbling.


Cool for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Pie is best served warm. (I heated mine in the oven at 350 for 5-6 minutes before I served.)
Thanks, Mom for helping me keep my crust from burning!


No comments:

Post a Comment